Proud Mom and Doctor
First Bath with daddy
The sad IV Beautiful bundle of joy Ready to head home!
Thursday, April 15, 2010
I was scheduled to be induced on Sunday April 11th. The doc stripped my membranes and stretched my cervix on the Friday before. Saturday I was having contractions that were about 10 minutes apart but not very strong and not always consistent. So that night we went and got dinner at about 7 cause I was not supposed to eat after 12. When we got home I tried to go to bed but the pain was getting stronger and they were consistently 10 minutes apart all through the night. So I tossed and turned and walked around, played on the computer and even tried to sleep in the recliner. Nothing was helping. So at 5 I went and was playing on Facebook and Kellan came in and asked what I was doing. I just told him I was uncomfortable and could not sleep. I was supposed to call at 6 to see if they were too booked to do the induction or if I could go in so I figured I would just stay awake. At 5:20 they got closer together being about 5 minutes apart and more painful. So finally at about 5:40 I called and said how far apart they were and asked if they just wanted me to come in then. They said yes. So I went and woke up Kellan and we got ready then headed to the hospital. When I got there I was at a 3 so they set up the pitocin and got the induction started. It progressed about 1 cm every hour to hour and a half after that. At about 12 I was done with the pain and asked for an epidural. They came in and gave it to me and then after that it was smooth sailing. It was a long wait to be fully dilated but I was not feeling a thing. So they came in and checked me at about 9 and I was finally at 9cm but it took a long time to get there. So my parents were hungry and said they were going to run and grab McDonald's and then be back in like 30 minutes. The nurse said that it would probably be awhile so they left. About 10 minutes after they left I felt like I needed to push. When I told the nurse that she told me to try and at that point I was ready to start the pushing process. I was worried because my parents were not back yet. But just as the doc came in to start really pushing my mom walked through the door. I then pushed only to come to find out that the baby was faced posterior. So the doctor was trying forever to try and turn her. He was really worried that her head would not be able to make it through and that they would have to do a c section. I did not really want that so I pushed harder and then she started to crown. So the doc was amazed that I was pushing well enough that I was going to be able to push her out. So they broke down the bed and got things ready. He decided to do an episiotomy to help and after he did that the next push she slipped right out. Which is funny because they were really worried that she would still get stuck and called in an extra nurse to push on my uterus to push her shoulders through. But she was not needed. So all in all I only ended up pushing for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Brooklyn Anne Doom was born at 11:13 PM on April 11th. She weighed 8 lbs. 4 oz. and was 20 inches long. Now as I type this I realize how blessed I am with such a perfect little angel. Brooklyn did have a fever when she came out that they were concerned with. They took her up and let Kellan give her a bath and then they ran some tests and had to end up putting an IV in her head to give her antibiotics. After the first night her fever went away and everything seemed fine with her health. After the 48 hour cultures came back everything looked normal and we were able to take her home.
Friday, April 9, 2010
Today was a busy day for doctors visits. I had a non stress test first, then an ultrasound to see how big they were estimating the baby to be and then a visit over to my doc to see if I have dilated at all. Everything went good with the non stress test. They estimate Brooklyn to be about 8 lbs 13 oz. They say that it can be a pound difference either way so I sure hope that they are measuring big! Then my doc wanted to check to see if I had dilated at all. As of last Monday I had not dilated, so this week I went walking with my dad alot to try and get her to drop and to get me dilated. Well it seemed to help because I am dilated to 2 cm. So the doc stripped my membranes and stretched my cervix a bit. He thinks that we should go ahead with being induced. They were going to do it on Saturday but upon calling the hospital they are booked so it looks like it will be Sunday. Yeah! The end is in sight. I thought that this baby was going to be stubborn and stay in me forever. It will be so nice to hold her in my arms instead of having her kick me whenever I try to rest on her space. I will keep everyone posted as to when the baby gets here and all her stats!